Monday, March 1, 2010

Party Animals

If you had to guess what birthday party theme this 3 year old would wish for, what would it be?
Curious George?
Baseball?
Nemo?
No. No. No.
My very unique son chose a very unique theme...SKUNKS!
(Those are skunk tails crafted with love on top of the cupcakes!)

The stinkers got to rock their own skunk tails (thanks Nonnie for helping me execute that idea!).
Thanks to Luca's friends Siena and Taylor for modeling this new fashion trend!

In addition to the "stinkers" we had over, we had some additional guests as well!!!
No, not skunks (apparently a skunk licence is on the pricier side~who knew!)
Luca had a very unique roll at his birthday party~animal assistant! Here he is holding a chinchilla very gently in his hands...
and then 3 at once!

There were some other volunteers willing to model the latest in chinchilla wear (left to right: Michael, Kent, Ethan).

Mike helped Luca hold a hedgehog (though no snuggling with this guy though...he was as prickly as a porcupine!)

Kent and Ethan are trying to figure out the *best* way to go about petting this pincushion.

There were also baby bunnies...just a few weeks old! I wasn't so sure a group of 2-5 year olds should be handling something as fragile as my unused china, but the animal ladies didn't have a problem with it!
I'm glad Mike was there to assist Luca with this one (though Mike paid the price...the bunny peed in his hands!)

Taylor was in awe of the newborn!

Luca was a little unsure of the potbelly pig (as was I once he started running all over my new rug) but the kids were thrilled when the pig got to eat out of all of their hands. Once he started squealing, things got a little out of hand, and the pig went back in it's crate.

Have you ever seen a frog so big?

Or kissed one, for that fact (I guess Lily was looking for her prince....)

No, he did not magically turn angelic when he turned 3...those are the wings of the blue and gold macaw behind him!

I can honestly say that I never imagined an owl flying through my house...but he did!
(I can also say I never imagined an owl pooping in my house...but he did that too!)

Luca was a VERY brave soul throughout the animal presentation...
and MUCH MUCH MUCH braver than his mother would have been with 2 snakes wrapped around him! I was suffocating for him!
Luca definitely wasn't the only brave one that night...Will (who is Ellie's big brother) showed the little kids how it's done!

Luca and Joey bounced into the wee hours of the morning (so it seemed...it was probably 8:30pm!) Thank you to Nonno and Nonna for the most glorious gift...that kept 25 children (and occasionally the adults, namely myself) occupied. Not only was it a huge hit the night of the skunk party, but it is the gift that keeps on giving!
Luca's skunk party was a huge success, a ton of fun, and not too stinky!
(I'm just wishing for a more mainstreamed theme for his 4th!)

1 comment:

Angela said...

WOW....Now THAT'S a party!!! What a great idea. Luca was very brave boy to hold all of those animals...and you were a brave mommy to have them all in your house!